Introduce yourself

 

 
If you don't know each other, introduce yourself Introducing yourself is often the first step to building relationships, whether in a casual or professional setting. When you introduce yourself, you not only share your name but also give some insight into who you are, what you do, and your interests. A good introduction is more than just listing facts—it’s an opportunity to make a connection with the person or people you’re speaking to. Typically, a good introduction will include your name, your occupation, and a few personal details like where you’re from, what you enjoy doing in your free time, or even your goals for the future. If you are in a professional setting, you might also want to mention your current role and how long you’ve been in your field. For example, if you’re meeting someone in a business meeting, you might say: “Hi, my name is Anna, and I’ve been working as a marketing manager for the past five years. I’m passionate about digital marketing strategies, and in my free time, I enjoy hiking and reading.” In more informal settings, like meeting someone at a social event, you could introduce yourself by sharing more about your hobbies or family: “Hey, I’m Carlos. I’m from São Paulo, and I love playing soccer and trying out new recipes when I have free time.” While introductions can sometimes feel a bit awkward, they are essential for starting conversations and forming connections. A successful introduction is one that feels natural and leads to further discussion. 

 Key Vocabulary
 Introduce – apresentar-se
 Insight – entendimento 
Occupation – ocupação 
Free time – tempo livre 
Hobbies – hobbies
 Professional setting – ambiente professional 
Business meeting – reunião de negócios 
Informal setting – ambiente informal 
Social event – evento social 
Connection – conexão 
Conversation questions: 
1. How do you usually introduce yourself to new people? What information do you like to share? 
2. Do you feel comfortable introducing yourself in professional settings? Why or why not? 
3. In what situations do you think a good introduction is especially important?

Introductions video: 


Comentarios